Jim Bartsch is an Associate Professor in the Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering. His work involves applied research on postharvest systems and the storage of agricultural products, including development of safe, energy-efficient technology for refrigerated and controlled-atmosphere storage of fruits and vegetables. He has also done work in developing countries with appropriate technology transfer and adult education for food loss prevention.
Mechanical properties of biological materials.
Outreach and Extension Focus
Professor Bartsch works with the engineering properties of biological and food materials, working towards optimization of postharvest storage and systems engineering for horticultural crops.
Professor Bartsch teaches students the mechanical properties of biological materials. His current course is BEE 3650 Properties of Biological Materials.
- Calderon-Lopez, B., Bartsch, J. A., Lee, C. Y., & Watkins, C. B. (2005). Cultivar Effects on Quality of Fresh Cut Apple Slices from I-Methylcyclopropene(1-MPC) -Treated Apple Fruit. Journal of Food Science. 79:S221-227.
- Calderon-Lopez, B., Bartsch, J. A., Lee, C. Y., & Watkins, C. B. (2005). Cultivar effects on quality of fresh cut apple slices from 1-methylcyclopropene (1-MCP) treated apple fruit. Journal of Food Science. 70:S221-227.
- Matas, A. J., Cobb, E. D., Bartsch, J. A., Paolillo, Jr., D. J., & Niklas, K. J. (2004). Biomechanics and Anatomy of Lycopersicon esculentum L.Outer Fruit Walls and Enzyme-Treated Samples. American Journal of Botany. 93:352-360.
- Brent, J. L., Mulvaney, S. J., Cohen, C., & Bartsch, J. A. (1997). Thermomechanical glass transition of extruded cereal melts. Journal of Cereal Science. 26:301-312.
- Brent, J. L., Mulvaney, S. J., Cohen, C., & Bartsch, J. A. (1997). Viscoelastic properties of extruded cereal melts. Journal of Cereal Science. 26:313-328.
- Shukla, A., Rizvi, S. S., & Bartsch, J. A. (1995). Rheological characterization of butter using lubricated squeezing flow. Journal of Texture Studies. 26:313-323.
- Bartsch, J. A. (1994). Bulk Handling for Processing Apples-A Review of Current Engineering Literature. NY Fruit Quarterly. 4:9-11.
- Gebremedhin, K. G., Bartsch, J. A., & Jorgensen, M. C. (1992). Predicting roof diaphragm and end-wall stiffness from full-scale test results of a metal-clad post-frame building. Transactions of the ASAE. 35:977-985.
- Gebremedhin, K. G., & Bartsch, J. A. (1988). Structural characteristics of foam insulated diaphragm panels. Canadian Agricultural Engineering. 31:299-306.
- Pritts, M. P., Bartsch, J. A., Worden, K. A., & Jorgensen, M. C. (1987). Factors influencing quality and shelf life of eastern strawberry cultivars. Advances in Strawberry Production. 6:14-17.